Friday, July 8, 2011

Pangea Speed

One morning near the Colorado Utah border, I crawled out of my tent and spread out my oversized map on my gas tank. Where to go today...


Some 400 miles away was Salt Lake City, Utah. I had never been there before, and new virtually nothing about the place. The only thing I did actually know was that Andy Carter of Pangea Speed called it home.

A few years ago when I first started working for the Horse, I got to lay out the article for the "Pangea Pulverizer", a bike featured in issue #93 built by Andy.






























I remember being really impressed with what a dude only a few years older than myself could do with the XS650 platform. I sent Andy an email complimenting him on his bike (and photo skills!) and I vaguely remember him saying something about "if you're ever in Utah, stop by".

Well that was two years ago, and I really hadn't talked to or even thought much about Andy since then. That is, until I had that map sprawled out on my gas tank and was calculating the distance to SLC from the Colorado state line. A couple hundred miles would put me there by sundown...


 At my first gas stop of the day, I looked up Pangea Speeds shop number and give it a call before I really even knew why I was calling... After the first ring, Andy picked up and I suddenly found myself rambling on to this guy I didn't even really know about how I was on this road trip, and was looking at the map, and there was SLC right there, and I knew he lived there, and uhh hey uhh do you think maybe, err umm I could crash on your floor maybe?

Even though Andy was up to his neck with work trying to bang out his Born-Free builder invite bike, he said without hesitation "sure man, come on through, i've got a place for you to crash". Solid fucking guy right there. After spending the day ripping across the hot Utah desert, I pulled up to his shop space in an airplane hanger on the outskirts of town. Andy's shop is decked out... for a guy who is only 26, he's got quite the resume. Race car school, working at various Hot Rod shops around L.A., and now owning and operation his own parts line and bike shop out of an airplane hanger.

We got to talking about motorcycles and road trips, as most of my conversation tend to lean that way, and he told me about his epic 3 month cross country journey he took a few years ago on an old stripped down Honda GS. Three months! and I thought three weeks was a long time... Favorite thing about Andy and his bikes? He doesn't really care what's the hottest trend or coolest look at the moment--instead, he's just pluggin' away in his shop doing his own damn thing, and to me, that is about as hip as it gets.



Need Michigan filled in there Andy!


The "Zion Express" next to a customers build



And his BF3 build...

Thanks again mate for making me feel right at home in a far far away land. I appologize in advance for  the terrible cell phone photos, but i'm sure you all will be seeing really nice photos of this thing somewhere down the line.

Here's this really fantastic video by Josh Clason profiling Andy and his crew. Dig it~~


HBTV: Depth of Speed - Pangea Speed from HBTV on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. I've been watching Andy from a far for at least 3 or 4 years. He is a true metal artist and motorcycle bad ass. Nice to see him makin it on his own for sure.

    ReplyDelete