Tuesday, March 1, 2011

New spinning globe feature

I'm always amazed when I check out the stats on this blog and see where people are visiting from... It still blows my mind that something I post here can be seen half way around the world. So when I stumbled upon this global visitor thing today, I was pretty psyched to test it out. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, it is in the left hand corner. Should show you where people are checking in from. You can zoom in on the earth and slow down its spinning, etc... its really quite cool! Its placement is questionable, seeing as how I had to go into the dreaded "html mode" to "place" it in there, and I quite honestly have no idea what i'm doin  when it comes to that jazz... but its there!

On a related note, I've always been fascinated by maps. Grade school wall maps, antique and expensive maps, gas station maps, hotel hand out cartoon style maps, 3-D maps, hand drawn maps, mental maps, google earth even... I could look at them for hours and plan my next mad dash, or look at old highways and relive past road romps.

Here's a glimpse into my office. It's sort of hard to see, but i've outlined all my past road trips around the glove in black. Not many main roads left un-traveled in the Lower Peninsula. Maybe this summer i'll tackle the U.P. (upper peninsula, for those unfamiliar with the midwest...)



Next to it is a fresh U.S. of A. map a friend gave to me last summer.


Out of boredom one day, I re-traced my routes I took to BF2 and the smoke outs (west and east),


 as well as my ride out to Sturgis I took with my girl last summer.



With this coming summer's travels, I should see some doubled up lines with return trips to Born Free and Sturgis, as well as a new thin line leading me around North Carolina's Outer Banks for the Revenge Run. And if it wasn't for the greatest blunder in motorcycle event planning history, I would have the Smoke Out lined for this summer too... I'm still bummed about that one. On the bright side though, I think its really important that we're keeping up on our involvment with the Born Free crew. This show is gaining some serious (and well deserved) attention, and i'm proud to say we're still major supporters of it.

Alright, enough rambling. March 1st is finally here, the sun's out, and it's just a thin cunt hair above freezing. Perhaps i've got an early case of spring fever boiling over? Mainly, I just wanted to point out the new mini globe in the corner. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. LOL, Jordan. i guess you know who that one lonely hit from Japan is, huh? cool stuff, i love maps, too. i often stare at them and plan my next exploration trip while i'm supposed to be at work. i mean, jeez, i live in a foreign country, there's so much new to see and experience, i just can't help it!

    -dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan, there IS something cool about maps..ever since I was a kid, I have always been hooked on them. if you dont make it out this way, this year, you should plan on making it out to Washington State next year for the Oyster Run...20-25,000 bikes in a town of 15,000 people for a one day free event. plus some of the greatest little known bike roads in the US. come out and add some NEW lines to that US map!!

    ReplyDelete